What should you do to ensure accurate measurements at home, and what do you need to take into account?
1. You should take measurements regularly, and at the same time every day. Rest and relax for 5 minutes before taking a measurement – blood pressure should be measured when under no physical or mental strain.
2. Don’t drink a caffeinated beverage or smoke during the 30 minutes before the test.
3. The inflatable part of the cuff should completely cover at least 80% of your upper arm, and the cuff should be placed on bare skin, not over a shirt.
4. Always take measurements from the same arm. Your left arm is closer to your heart than your right arm, meaning that results can differ – deviations of up to 10 mmHg are common!
5. To avoid false results, it is important to remain still during the measurement and not to speak.